Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Most book reviews focus on the haunting story that transports a reader to a different reality -- Afghanistan.

What I found interesting is that the author juxtaposes two main characters in this story. The story focuses on Amir's internal conflicts while his brother, Hassan, faces external conflicts. The book is told from Amir's point of view, thus, the reader does not fully perceive Hassan's internal conflicts. Even from Amir's point of view, how Hassan suffered at the hands of others around him, to the end, is heart-wrenching. Yet, Hassan was able to achieve small measurements of happiness by honoring and treasuring his friendship with Amir and building a family. Hassan is able to find inner peace despite the hardships he faced. Perhaps because he is more secure about his self and inner peace, he is able to create and build his own family even in times of chaos. Although he is unable to always fight successfully against those around him (child abuse, execution), his conflict is resolved by maintaining his inner self.

By contrast, Amir is chased by his own conscience of what he is unable to do. His inner battles spill out to his actions against the one person he couldn't help. He fights against his demons by physically pelting Hassan and chasing away Hassan in hopes that the physical removal of the object of his inner battle would resolve his inner battle. Unlike Hassan, Amir is unable to create a family of his own despite his efforts. Amir finds external stability, much stable physical environment than Hassan, for building a family. Yet, Amir and his wife is unable to successfully have children. Amir is able to overcome his conflict only by taking steps to help Hassan's son and facing his childhood enemy again, albeit with the help of Hassan's son.

Obviously, there is more to explore in this book than what I state above -- the poignancy of the plot itself. But I make no attempt to analyze any books fully in my postings, so I will stop here... because, I don't have the book with me anymore to refer back to it!

Would I buy this book? Probably not. I would probably borrow again from the library if I run out of things to read. I would consider buying a book if (1) the author is an extraordinarily gifted writer (Shakespeare) and (2) the substance is worth sustaining over time. This book probably merits high marks in plot, but I don't know that I would put the writing as extraordinarily talented. What can I say? I have limited resources. =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great! I enjoyed reading this book.